As we gear up for a new school year, we would like to share a few reminders about traffic around the school.
Students, parents, buses, staff and school neighbors all share the same travel routes through the neighborhood to and from the school. Peak travel times can create congestion and increase the need for safe and courteous travel practices.
Here are a few ways parents can help us create a safe, respectful and positive environment when driving near the school:
- Please drive slowly. Remember, the speed limit in a school zone when lights are flashing is 20 miles per hour.
- Please don’t park in neighbors’ driveways at any time, even if the driveway is open.
- Don’t block streets, stop in intersections or crosswalks, and please obey crossing guards’ instructions.
- Remind children to stop and look both ways before crossing streets, and to respect neighbors’ property – for example, don’t make shortcuts through neighbors’ yards.
- When lining up to pick-up or drop-off students, leave at least three feet of space between your car and the nearest driveway opening.
- Avoid lining up early for pick-up or drop-off to help minimize congestion.
- Don’t drive in bus lanes, even if no buses are present.
- Please be courteous and friendly. Our neighbors, crossing guards, staff and other parents appreciate a friendly wave, a smile or a “thank you.”
We’re looking forward to a safe, fun and productive school year!